When I received a macbook pro I was initially thrilled, but as an Ubuntu user, I had a hard time switching between the keybindings of those systems. So i decided to dual-boot macOS Catalina 10.15 with Ubuntu 20.04.1.
Using the following very nice tutorial, I still ran into a number of problems:
- rEFInd was not starting on boot (not correctly installed)
- my Ubuntu installation crashed whilst trying to set grub boot loader to the NVMe SSD EFI partition
rEFInd is not starting on boot
If you followed the above tutorial, instructions said to install rEFInd while logged in to macOs. This didn’t work for me.
- Format your UBUNTU partition to FAT.
- Download and unzip reFind to desktop
- Reboot in recovery mode (hold cmd + R)
- Open disk tools to mount the macOS file system
- Now open a terminal and navigate to /Volumes/mac…./Users/username/Desktop/refind/
- and install refind with
now reboot to start installing Ubuntu
Ubuntu install with some tricks
To avoid the crash during ubuntu installation, install ubuntu without installing the boot loader.
First boot using the Ubuntu USB. Then click try ubuntu, start a terminal, and run:
After installation of ubuntu, install the boot-repair tool:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair boot-repair
For me, this still gave an error at the end, but it was not critical! Now Ubuntu is running alongside my macOS 🙂